What can I do if a charity I want to donate to is not listed?
Donate Planet is working hard to bring a wide range of charities to you in one place. If you can’t find the charity you’re interested in, or they haven’t yet registered with Donate Planet, please consider contacting them and encouraging them to join the growing community at Donate Planet. You can also contact us at our contact page and we’ll get in touch with the charity on your behalf. Alternatively, you could donate to a similar charity or cause that is registered with Donate Planet.
How do I know my donations are reaching the Charity or Appeal?
Each charity has registered their financial details with Donate Planet, and all donations are processed according to an agreement between the charity and Donate Planet. All donations are regularly reconciled and all charities receive a regular statement listing all donations received on their behalf. Donate Planet is authorised by the Australian Tax Office to issue tax-deductible receipts to donors on behalf of DGR charities. Charities have full access to their own dashboard on Donate Planet, where they can verify all donations, receipts and deposits.
Can a donation be refunded if I change my mind?
How do I know my transactions are secure?
Donate Planet takes your security very seriously. This website utilises a 256 bit encrypted extended validation SSL Certificate from GeoTrust which encrypts your credit card and personal information during the payment process. This technology is used on thousands of eCommerce sites every day.
All transactions on Donate Planet are processed using Eway, one of the world's leading online transaction providers. Your details are not stored by Donate Planet, but are held off-site by Eway using an encrypted token.
Do you store my credit card details?
You can choose whether or not Donate Planet will remember your details. When you check-out, look for the tick-box next to “Would you like us to remember you next time?” You can change these settings in your Donate Planet account dashboard.
Why does Donate Planet retain 6.2% of donations?
Our 6.2% fee on donations helps to pay transaction and administrative costs that are part of any donation. This also helps us provide administrative services to charities around the financial management of their donations so they can focus on what they do best. Donate Planet is a not-for-profit foundation so any profits go back into helping charities achieve more.
Why not just donate directly to the charity, what value does Donate Planet offer?
Donate Planet makes it easier for you to donate, because you can access a wide range of charities with just one account. You can even log in with your favourite social network account, which means one less password to remember. Donate Planet lets you keep track of all your donations and when it comes to tax time, you can download a tax receipt too. By centralising charity donations, Donate Planet allows charities to spend more time and money on delivering important social programs, rather than on administration. Donate Planet publishes direct contact details for all registered charities, but we do not pass on any donor details to any charities.
I would like to volunteer; does Donate Planet offer any volunteer opportunities?
Donate Planet will be the ‘go to’ website for all aspects of donating. A number of sections will be added to Donate Planet during 2014, including information about Volunteering, and Blood & Organ donation.
Who is behind Donate Planet?
You can read all about the Donate Planet team on the About Us page.
Where is Donate Planet based?
Donate Planet is based in Sydney, Australia.
How do I contact Donate Planet?
You can find all of our contact details on our contact page.
It’s tax time! How do I download my tax receipt?
You can download a tax receipt from your Donate Planet account. Simply log in to your Dashboard, click on Donation history, and choose how you would like to download your tax receipt.
My credit card is about to expire; how do I add a new card?
You can update your credit card, and other details in your Donate Planet account dashboard. Simply log in and click “Update profile”.
Do you give my personal information to third parties?
For each donation, Donate Planet only provides the relevant charity with the name of the donor, and the amount of the donation. Donate Planet doesn’t give any other details to charities, and never sends any information to third parties. If you’d prefer your name not be sent to your charity, then you can choose to donate anonymously when you check-out, or mark this preference in your Donate Planet account dashboard.
Can I pause my recurring donations and restart them again later?
Yes, in your Donate Planet account dashboard you can pause and resume your recurring donations, or change the frequency of recurring donations at any time.
How do I stop my recurring donations?
Simply log in to your Donate Planet account, and you can pause or cancel your recurring donations, or change the frequency of recurring donations anytime.
Can I pay via direct debit from a nominated account?
For your security, Donate Planet lets you make donations with your credit card. That way, you don’t have to provide your bank account details.
I would like to donate anonymously; can I do this?
Yes, you can donate anonymously. When you check-out, tick the box next to “I would like my donation to be anonymous”, or mark this preference in your Donate Planet account dashboard.
I’m having a problem accessing my account. What should I do?
Is there any limit to the amount I can donate via Donate Planet?
No, you can donate as much as you wish, subject to the limit on your credit card or any other personal banking limits. All donations over $2 to DGR charities are tax deductible, using the email receipt sent by Donate Planet.
How can I create my own Fundraising Campaign page on Donate Planet?
You can become a fundraiser for your favourite charities by using the ‘Fundraisers’ tab on Donate Planet. Click on the green ‘Start fundraising’ button to create your event, and then contact your network of family, friends and colleagues to support you to reach your goal.
Can I participate in an existing event and raise funds for charity?
Yes you can. Use the ‘Fundraisers’ tab on Donate Planet, then click on the ‘Start fundraising’ button to create your own fundraising activity. Then contact your network of family, friends and colleagues to support you to reach your goal. If your favourite charity is not yet registered on Donate Planet then please contact us so we can get in touch with them.
Can I raise funds for more than one charity?
Yes you can. At Donate Planet it is so simple to set up separate pages for each beneficiary charity that you can be fundraising for more than one charity and planning to participate in more than one event all at the same time.
What if I am part of a fundraising team?
We’ve made it simple for each team member to set up their own Fundraising Campaign page and contact their network of family, friends and colleagues to support them.
How can I find my friend so I can make a donation?
Just type their first or last name into the search box, and you’ll be able to see each of the fundraising campaigns they have created; you can then choose which one you wish to support.
Do I have to be part of an organised event to fundraise for a Donate Planet charity?
No. You might wish to undertake your own individual personal challenge to fundraise for your chosen charity.
I have donated to a Fundraiser but my name hasn't appeared in their Activity Feed. Why?
If you checked (or didn't uncheck) the box which asks 'I would like my donation to be anonymous' at the checkout when you made the donation unfortunately, your name won't appear.
If you're absolutely certain that you didn't make your donation Anonymous, and if you're certain you made the donation (you will have received a transaction/tax receipt from us by email) and you name is still missing, please let us know.
We’re a Charity registered with Donate Planet and we’re having difficulty logging in to our Dashboard. What is wrong?
Check that you’re logging in via the ‘Are You a Charity?’ panel at the bottom of the Home page. The login at the top of the page is for Donors. If that isn’t the problem, check that the email address you’re using is the same as the one that was entered when your charity was first registered; or that someone else who has accessed your dashboard hasn’t changed the email and password details. If none of this works, click on ‘I forgot my password’ under the Log In button, and you’ll receive email instructions on how to reset your password.
I want to Fundraise for a particular event that my charity is holding – how do I do this on Donate Planet?
Check whether your charity has set up a special Campaign for this event on Donate Planet. Campaigns are listed underneath the list of Charities in the Fundraising dropdown menu. If your charity hasn’t set up a campaign, simply link your fundraising to the charity directly.
I'm looking for a specific event to link my Donate Planet fundraising campaign. Where can I find it?
An event doesn’t need to be featured as a charity Campaign on Donate Planet for you to start fundraising. Simply title your fundraising campaign to reflect the event you’ll be participating in and link it directly to the Donate Planet charity you wish to raise money for.
For example, someone wishing to run in the City to Surf event to raise money for The Starlight Foundation would set up their campaign page and entitle it ‘City to Surf – John Smith’ and link it directly to The Starlight Foundation.
What is the difference between a Charity, an Appeal, and a Fundraising Campaign?
A charity registered with Donate Planet is able to set up an Appeal to coincide with a particular fundraising period or event that they are holding during a year. An Appeal is created to last for a certain period of time before it expires, whereas a Charity is listed permanently. A Fundraising Campaign has been set up by an individual or group to raise money for a Charity or an Appeal. Fundraising Campaigns can be found under 'Fundraiser's in the main menu, or through the search function.
I’ve created my Fundraising Campaign, but attached it to the wrong charity/appeal. What do I do now?
Don’t panic! If you’ve just created your campaign, simply log into Donate Planet and select ‘My campaigns’ from your dropdown login menu. All your campaigns will be listed – choose the campaign that you wish to cancel and click on ‘cancel’. You will then need to set up a new fundraising page.
How can I raise funds for a person, family member, friend etc in need?
You don't need to have a registered charity to raise funds for someone in need. You can create an appeal linked to the Donate Planet Foundation Limited. The funds raised will then be forwarded to the recipient approximately every 14 days.
As a not-for-profit organisation, Donate Planet is dedicated to complete transparency. Go to How It Works and simply enter an amount into the calculator and see the breakdown of funds that are passed along to the recipient.
Our charity has an event coming up and we want to assist our Fundraisers in setting up their Fundraising pages. Can we do this?
Yes. If you have a name and email address for your Fundraiser, you’re able to register a Donate Planet donor profile for them and set a password on their behalf. You can then go on to create their fundraising page, set a fundraising goal and add any text or images about your event. Your Fundraiser can then login to their page later and make any changes, or change their password if they wish.
Our charity has an upcoming event where participants will be raising money for us. Do we need to register or create a special campaign on Donate Planet for this?
No. All your participants need to do is title their fundraising campaign to reflect the event they’ll be participating in and link it directly to your charity.
For example, if your charity had an upcoming 3 Day Bike Ride event, you would advise your fundraisers to set up their campaign page and entitle it ‘3 Day Bike Ride – John Smith’ and link their campaign directly to your charity.
I want to fundraise for a specific individual/group in my local community. Can I do this on Donate Planet?
If the individual or group is registered as a charity/cause with Donate Planet, you will be able to fundraise on their behalf.
Can an individual or group in my local community register with Donate Planet so that I can start fundraising for them?
Yes. In order for a charity or cause to receive donations via Donate Planet, they need to register (click HERE for the registration page). Each charity or cause who wishes to register has to read and understand the Terms and Conditions of being a charity on Donate Planet. If their registration is approved, anyone wishing to fundraise can then establish a new fundraising campaign on their behalf. Any donations received by Donate Planet for that campaign will be sent directly to the bank account nominated by the charity/cause on their registration page.
Can I extend or change the date that my fundraising campaign expires?
Yes, you can do this by editing your fundraising campaign. Simply log into Donate Planet and select ‘My campaigns’ from your dropdown login menu. Select the campaign you wish to reactivate or edit and make your changes.
Is my donation tax deductible?
Donations are tax deductible if they are over $2.00, and if they are made to an organisation that is endorsed as a Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR). Donate Planet charities that have DGR status carry the DGR icon on their feature pages. An organisation that has not-for-profit status doesn’t automatically have tax deductibility status. To find out more about DGR visit www.ato.gov.au
What is DGR Status? What does that mean for me?
DGR stands for Deductible Gift Recipient.
As outline on the ACNC(Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission) website a DGR entity is a "type of organisation that has been recognised by the ATO (Australian Taxation Office) as able to receive tax deductible gifts. Donors to these organisations can deduct the amount of their gift from their taxable income when they lodge a tax return".
We’re a cause/charity and we don’t have DGR (tax deductibility) status. Can we still register with Donate Planet?
Yes! Most causes or charities – particularly those that are community based – do not have tax deductibility status. You’re welcome to register with Donate Planet so that you’re able to receive donations. Rather than issue tax deductible receipts to donors, we will issue transaction receipts.
I’m not sure if our charity has DGR status. How can I check?
To check if your charity has DGR endorsement you can search your organisation’s ABN at the Australian Government's ABN Lookup site: www.abr.business.gov.au
What currency are transactions processed in?
All payments are in AUD$ Currency.
I am a charity, what are the Terms & Conditions?
Terms & Conditions
1) Donate Planet Foundation Limited ABN 98 160 928 629 (Donate Planet) operates the www.donateplanet.com website, which is a service that allows people to make donations to certain causes and charities. The website includes a webpage for each such cause or charity (Donee) that allows visitors to make an online donation to their chosen Donee and allows Donate Planet to issue receipts for such donations as agent for the Donee (Donate Planet Service).
2) The Donee wishes to use the Donate Planet Service and hereby appoints Donate Planet as their agent for the purposes of collecting donations and providing receipts in the name of the Donee and under the Donee's endorsement as a deductible gift recipient and for this purpose Donate Planet will comply with the conditions applicable to this endorsement.
3) The Donee has agreed to enter into an agreement with Donate Planet on the terms of these Terms and Conditions (Agreement).
4) Subject to compliance by the Donee with the terms of the Agreement, Donate Planet will provide the Donate Planet Service to the Donee on the terms of the Agreement.
5) The Donee must pay to Donate Planet an annual fee of $95 (excluding GST) or such other amount as notified to the Donee by Donate Planet in writing. Donate Planet will issue to the Donee an invoice for the annual fee on or around each anniversary of the Donee entering into this agreement with Donate Planet.
6) In addition, the administration fee to be paid by the Donee to Donate Planet for each donation to the Donee made via Donate Planet will be 5% (+GST) of the amount of the donation or such other amount as agreed in writing between Donate Planet and the Donee (Administration Fee).
7) In addition, the financial services fee to be paid by the Donee to Donate Planet for each donation to the Donee made via Donate Planet will be 2% (+GST) of the amount of the donation or such other amount as agreed in writing between Donate Planet and the Donee (Financial Services Fee).
8) Within fourteen (14) business days following the receipt of each donation, Donate Planet will remit to the Donee the amount of the donation less the Administration Fee, Financial Services Fee and GST.
9) The Donee has provided Donate Planet with content, including its trade mark(s) and logo(s), for use with the Donate Planet Service (Donee Content). The Donee must promptly notify Donate Planet of changes to the Donee Content.
10) The Donee grants Donate Planet a non-exclusive, royalty-free licence to host, reproduce, transmit, cache, store, exhibit, publish, display, distribute, perform, edit, adapt, modify and otherwise use the Donee Content. Pursuant to the licence under this clause 9, Donate Planet may edit, adapt or modify the Donee Content with the consent of the Donee, such consent not to be unreasonably withheld.
11) As soon as reasonably practicable after receiving the Donee Content or notice of changes to the Donee Content, Donate Planet will host (or update, as applicable) a webpage on the website associated with the Donate Planet Service that displays the Donee Content (Donation Page). Visitors to the Donation Page will be able to make online donations to the Donee.
12) The Donee warrants that: * (i) it either owns or has a licence for all of the intellectual property rights and other rights in or related to the Donee Content; * (ii) the Donee Content does not, and use of it by Donate Planet will not, infringe any third party’s intellectual property, moral or other rights; * (iii) the Donee Content is not defamatory and will not breach any applicable law; * (iv) the Donee Content is not misleading or deceptive, or likely to mislead or deceive; * (v) the Donee Content does not bring and will not bring Donate Planet or the Donate Planet Service into disrepute; * (vi) it will comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) in respect of the collection, use and disclosure of personal information (as that term is defined in that Act); and * (vi) Donate Planet will not be infringing the intellectual property rights or other rights of any third party or breaching any laws by using the Donee Content in connection with the Donate Planet Service.
13) Donate Planet may remove or refuse to update the Donation Page if, in Donate Planet's sole opinion, any Donee Content has breached, or may breach, clause 9.
14) Either party may terminate this Agreement by giving one (1) month's written notice to the other party.
15) Donate Planet may cease hosting the Donation Page and immediately terminate this agreement if in Donate Planet's opinion: * (i) the Donee breaches or may breach any term of this Agreement; or * (ii) the Donee or the Donee Content brings or may bring Donate Planet or the Donate Planet Service into disrepute.
16) The Donee indemnifies Donate Planet against any loss, damage, cost or expense (including legal costs and expenses on a solicitor/own client basis) that Donate Planet suffers or incurs arising out of or in relation to any breach by the Donee of this Agreement. Subject to the limitation on liability in clause 18, Donate Planet indemnifies the Donee against any loss, damage, cost or expense (including legal costs and expenses on a solicitor/own client basis) that the Donee suffers or incurs arising out of or in relation to any breach by Donate Planet of this Agreement.
17) Except for those terms that cannot by law be excluded, all terms other than those expressly contained in this Agreement are excluded.
18) Except as provided by law, Donate Planet's aggregate liability to the Donee, whether in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise, is limited to the aggregate amount of Administration Fees paid to Donate Planet in respect of that Donee in the calendar year in which the liability arose.
19) Except as provided by law, in no event will Donate Planet be liable to the Donee, whether in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise, for any consequential, special, incidental or indirect loss or damage or loss of profit (whether consequential, special, incidental, direct or indirect) that may arise from or in relation to this Agreement.
20) Donate Planet will ensure that all transaction and credit card information entering the system is encrypted using an Extended Validation Certificate from GeoTrust, with up to 256-bit SSL encryption based on a 2048-bit key. Donate Planet will ensure that credit card transactions are authorised in partnership with Eway and that no cardholder information will ever be passed unencrypted in a web browser to Donate Planet or from Donate Planet to Eway. Donate Planet will ensure that no payment information is stored on www.donateplanet.com (other than the last four digits of each registered credit card) and will not store any 3-digit credit card security codes, such as CSC, CVV or CVC codes. Donate Planet will further ensure that any credit card information sent to banks and any return authorisation message is secure. While Donate Planet will take all reasonable steps to protect information provided by the Donee, Donate Planet does not warrant that: * (i) the Donate Planet Service will be uninterrupted or error free; or * (ii) the Donate Planet Service will be free from external intruders (hackers) or other persons having access to the services or systems of Donate Planet without the consent of Donate Planet.
21) The Donee must comply with Donate Planet's policies from time to time relating to the Donate Planet Service.
22) Donate Planet has no obligations or duties except those expressly set out in this Agreement and those imposed on it by any law that cannot be excluded.
23) This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement of the parties about its subject matter and supersedes any previous understandings or agreements on that subject matter.
24) The Donee must not assign or transfer any of its rights or obligations under this Agreement without the prior written consent of Donate Planet.
25) Donate Planet may assign or transfer any of its rights or obligations under this Agreement. Donate Planet may sub-contract or otherwise arrange for another person or party to perform any part of this Agreement or to discharge any of the obligations under any part of this Agreement.
26) This Agreement is governed by the law of New South Wales, Australia. The parties submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of its courts and courts of appeal from them. The parties will not object to the exercise of jurisdiction by those courts on any basis.
Effective June 25, 2013
I am a fundraiser, what are the Terms & Conditions?
Terms & Conditions of Fundraising on Donate Planet
1) You must not upload any content (text and/or images) that is, or may be interpreted as, defamatory, obscene or offensive, or that is in breach of any law, regulation or third party intellectual property.
2) DP reserves the right to remove any such content, or any other content that may violate someone else’s rights.
3) You must not upload viruses or any malicious or damaging code.
4) You must not engage in any form of multi-level marketing, or any unlawful or criminal purposes.
5) You must not access someone else’s account, nor attempt to solicit someone else’s log in details.
6) You must not use DP to send junk or spam email.
7) You must not use DP to misrepresent your identity, or any association with a third party.